Post #11 triangle post

When I read what I had to do for this post I was some what confused, and I couldn't think of something I could write about but after thinking about it I had some examples I could talk about. Basically the triangle model is being under one main business or company, but having multiple postions within the company, or organization. I think everyone has experience something like this at least at one point in their life.

This post is about being in a triangle situation. At first I couldn't really think about examples in which I was under one position but having to do 2 things at the same time. But after thinking I have 2 examples in which I was. One example that I could talk about is sports. In sports I was involved in this "triangle" for example I was a student at Nazareth academy but I was a midfielder when it came to soccer and a captain for the soccer team. First of all I was a student first before anything but I was also a soccer player but not only a just a soccer I was a captain which means I had more responsibility than other people. I say I was a student first because without me being a student at Nazareth academy I would have never had the opportunity to be a soccer player let alone a captain. Being a soccer play and being a captain was something that I was able to do simultaneously which means I was able to deal with problems on the soccer field as a player and as a captain. Being a captain gave me the ability to have more authority on the soccer field while still being a soccer player. As a captain I had to be a leader for everyone on the field but not acting like I was bossing people around. What helped me to be a good captain was that I would see things from a perspective of a player first rather than a Captain.

Another example of a "triangle" position is where I worked. I worked as a cashier, but I was a manager, and worker there. So this is an example in the real world where I can talk about in a work setting. So this gave me the opportunity to be a worker but also have a position of authority. This would not really be conflicting because they would work simultaneously which made not only a better worker but also a better manager. This worked because it's like having someone on the front lines to see the everyday problems that a cashier would have but the only difference was that I was able to act on something if an issue arose. I felt like I had better understanding than the owners of how everything in the store was working and able to be on the "front lines" and see the ins and outs. This gave me a-lot of experience to be able to become a better worker.

Alot of these examples didn't conflict with each-other. If anything these examples worked simultaneously to make me a better worker or gave me more experience because I was able to see it from both perspectives which opens up your mindset. Since I was a player first before I became I captain it made me think about captains before me and things I didn't like and things I did like. Because of this it made me want to do the good things that I like about captains before me to be the best captain that I could be. Same thing with being cashier I was a cashier first before I was a manager which means I was able to see the perspective of a worker before I was manager which made me want to be the best manager that I could.

Comments

  1. You've managed to come up with your own definition of the triangle problem that wasn't mentioned in the prompt. I wonder why. To be truer to the concept as it was envisioned, let's consider the soccer example you gave. I assume the team had a coach (or maybe several coaches). Now take the perspective of some other player than you, one who wasn't a captain. Were you and the coach always in agreement? If so, then there really is no triangle problem . But if once in a while what you wanted from the player was different from what the coach wanted, then the player would be facing the triangle problem and would have to figure out which of you to follow.

    If there were assistant coaches as well as a head coach and if they would sometimes disagree, then you may have faced the triangle problem as well in that setting.

    I encourage you to think through where you worked from this angle. You said your boss didn't know what was going on as much as you did. But did your boss sometimes give directions to the people you managed? If so, were any of those directions contrary to how you would have gone about doing things?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts